My life has been a consistent yet meandering path complete floods and dry spells, much like the mighty Mississippi that shaped my hometown, and therefore, my life. Like the river, the general path for my life has remained the same, despite the unexpected twists and turns. I have learned over time that when I feel overwhelmed the cause is opposite of what I would think. Living around the river, one sees the devastation of droughts and floods. Our short-term vision tells us that floods are bad. Floods may serve disastrous for people requiring change due to damage to homes, occupations and such as; simple floods can be diverted creating a means for watering crops and, long term, great floods create fertile ground suitable for crops. However, droughts and changes in course have led to towns like Rocky Springs and Rodney, MS to cease existence.
We would like to believe that when following God's will there are little to no consequences, however, the change that occur when following a call can be actually be painful. Perhaps God intended to work through you to start the ball rolling for a larger change. There will be times when you will sit like that bird you see perched on a branch of the solitary tree amidst that flooded landscape, alone on that branch in the middle of nothingness, seeming to have forgotten that God gave you wings. Those wings are faith that you will trust God will lead you across the water. Or perhaps like a squirrel in that same tree, that God has provided you just enough nuts stored up to make it until the water recedes. Or maybe...He's planning on leading you directly through the waters. We take for granted that no matter the path....our life is destined to and should change. The flood of the spirit of God should affect every part of our life....God knows I am a huge work in progress.
As a lover of photography, I have to remind myself that life is like pictures and the quality is larger determined by the focus. As times, a photograph a best when focusing on the teeniest of tiniest of qualities or subject. For instance, if I were photographing the bird in the tree in the flooded field...I may zoom out and capture the entire field allowing the focus of the camera to blur the field and tree to a degree but making the bird sharp so that your eye is drawn to the bird. At other times I may simply zoom in to photograph the beautiful bird, sitting stately in the tree overlooking the field with little concern for its welfare knowing its enemies are held at bay by the flood.
Perhaps our focus is too broad or too narrowed at times. Life is about the bigger picture. Our path should be God's will leading us to our final destination that should be overflowing to leading others to the right path or at minimum leaving behind a fertile field to bear the fruits.
While you, like that bird, sit on the branch seemingly alone, I pray that you can hear that still small voice that the chaos of the world has drowned out, the one that has been speaking to you all along inviting you to a few moments of peace in your solitude with Him while He prepares you for His path and will for your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment